[Tugindia] Labels and enumeration

Manoj Kummini tugindia@tug.org
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 09:50:00 +0100 (BST)

 --- Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.ernet.in> wrote:

> This is a "flaw" in article.cls according to me. In other words,
> \p@enumii should be \labelenumi and \p@enumiii should be
> \labelenumi\labelenumii so that if the items labels are
> concatenated
> to generate references of lower depth---at least by default!

I did not quite follow you on this point. These are the lines that I
have seen in article.cls ; \p@enumxxx is concatenated \labelenumyyy
for all yyy less than xxx, but for the periods, which, IMO, will look
bad on the reference. This is same in report.cls .

\newcommand\labelenumi{\theenumi.}
\newcommand\labelenumii{(\theenumii)}
\newcommand\labelenumiii{\theenumiii.}
\newcommand\labelenumiv{\theenumiv.}
\renewcommand\p@enumii{\theenumi}
\renewcommand\p@enumiii{\theenumi(\theenumii)}
\renewcommand\p@enumiv{\p@enumiii\theenumiii}

Will you elaborate your point?

> Hope this rather technical discussion makes sense!

It should, shouldn't it? This is the only way I found to understand
TeX.

Manoj.

=====
--