[Tugindia] Fontsize Option in Article.cls

Manoj Kummini tugindia@tug.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 04:47:34 +0000 (GMT)

 --- David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> wrote:

> Maybe spaces get given catcode ignore to protect against people
> loving too many blanks.
>
> Try
> \def\next{\documentclass[12 pt]{article}}
> \next
>
> and it will probably stop working because then the space gets
> recognized before it can be switched off.

That example works without problems, ie., the space does not create
any problem. However, I managed to find the culprit.

Digging into the definition of \documentclass in latex.ltx, I came
across a macro \zap@space having a suspicious look and acting on the
options segment of \documentclass. For details, see
\@fileswith@pti@ns. Then I ran the test code

\zap@space hello world hello world hello world \@empty

and got all the spaces removed between the words. Remember to put a
space between the last world and \@empty.

With regards,
Manoj.

=====