[Tuglist] cls file creation

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:03:50 +0530 (IST)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 at 20:00, muthalif K wrote:

   I would like know about creation of CLS file in Latex. i am
   working as a Template desiger in 3b2. could you suggest any
   source available in web or any online course for creation cls
   file.

Writing a LaTeX class from scratch is not a good idea although one
can venture it if one is brave enough. Usually what TeX programmers
adopt is to take a class from TeX distribution (like article.cls,
report.cls etc) and modify/customize it to suit the requirements.
For both, one need a thorough knowledge of TeX language, its
primitives, category codes, input reading mechanism, output
routines, etc and the vast library provided by LaTeX. Sadly enough,
not much resources that can be termed as 'user friendly' are
available around.

The only ones available are Knuth's TeXBook (which is terse at
times, but the most helpful in all situations) and Goossens etal:
LaTeX Companion (provides some useful hooks and tips).

You need not get disheartened however, you can bravely go through
any one of the classes distributed with TeX, start hacking,
experimenting, soon you'll discover that you've arrived at a new
class. Be warned, it might be tormenting at the start, but soon you
will find it interesting.

TUGIndia contemplates to conduct a LaTeX programming tutorial and is
hunting for resource persons which is scarce in this land. If we
succeed in finding enough resource persons, we might start the
tutorial after the summer vacation.