[Tugindia] [Again] Installing Devanagari (on Unices)

Raj Singh tugindia@tug.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:26:51 +0530 (IST)

Hello,

Re-sending my earlier mail on using/installing 'devanagari' package with
LaTeX. For first time users, it might be a good idea to first search the
recent archives of this mailing list before posing questions to the list.

-- Raj

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:38:39 +0530 (IST)
To: TUG-India <tugindia@tug.org>

> Would like to do some texing of devanagari text. But don't know anything
> about getting/installing fonts or working with it.

Doing it on Unix/Linux or Windows environment ?

For Linux/Unix, you can do the stuff by hand. Get the 'devanagari' package
from any CTAN site. Uncompress/untar it and put the various files in the
'appropriate' places by creating new directories in your $TEXMF path.
$TEXMF is the home of your TeX/LaTeX package -- this could be
/usr/local/share/texmf, /usr/share/texmf or some other directory path on
these lines.

Basically do the following :

1. Put the defs.mf, dnchars.mf and dvng*.mf files in
$TEXMF/fonts/source/public/devanagari.

2. Put the dvng*.tfm files in $TEXMF/fonts/tfm/public/devanagari.

3. Put dev.sty, dnmacs.tex, udn.fd, manual.tex, misspaal.tex, examples.tex
in $TEXMF/tex/latex/devanagari.

4. Give the 'texhash' command.

5. Compile devnag.c (gcc or cc) and put the resultant 'devnag' binary in
/usr/local/bin.

[ Note that you can name the binary file to be 'dev2tex', 'hindi2tex',
'hindi', 'devanagari', or any other name that you fancy instead of
'devnag'. ]

6. Give the 'rehash' command.

7. I hope that you have 'xdvi' and 'gv' compiled to use the 'on need'
generated 'pk' fonts which usually are put in /var/lib/texmf/pk/... path.

8. Make your <file>.dn. 'devnag' it. 'latex' the resultant <file>.tex.
View and print it.

-- Raj

| Raj Singh               | EMAIL : raj@ceeri.ernet.in      |
| CEERI, Pilani - 333 031 | PHONE : 91-159-7642359 (office) |
| Rajasthan (INDIA)       | FAX   : 91-159-7642294 (office) |