[Tugindia] Help - GOI style paragraph numbering

Manoj Kummini tugindia@tug.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:39:22 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Ajay Shah <ajayshah@mayin.org> wrote:
> As you may know, documents produced in the GOI have numbering for
> every paragraph. There are two styles. One case is hierarchical: In
> section 2.5, the first para is 2.5.1, etc. Alternatively, the
> document
> starts with para 1 and the para number just increments through the
> entire document.
>
> How might we achieve these effects in latex?

The former can be done by adding these lines before \begin{document}

\makeatletter
\@addtoreset{equation}{subsection}
\renewcommand\theparagraph{\thesubsection.\@arabic\c@paragraph}
\makeatother
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{5}

By default, the counter for paragraph is reset everytime a new
section begins. I do not know how this can be disabled. This should
be something opposite to what \@addtoreset does.

Manoj.

=====
--