[Tugindia] Re: First impression of "devnag"

Raj Singh tugindia@tug.org
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:53:41 +0530 (IST)

> I installed and used "devnag" package to get output in Hindi, just out
> of curiosity, as it is not my requirement.

I have been using devnag package (on specific requirement basis) since
1991-92 period -- to get mixed Hindi-English or bilingual text output. I
found the devnag user's manual to be sufficient for getting my desired
output. One does need to experiment for complex ligature based words (e.g.
"sraddhA, yaj~n, k.satriy, nak.satr, kak.sA, taMtr, yak.s). I found that
the matras (for i, I, e, E, o, O, au, ...) were better placed using devnag
than using Hindi fonts under MS-Word.

The example files of misspaal.dn, nehru.dn and song.dn also helped. As
mentioned by some other users, after some time one gets used to typing the
required hindi words in romanised form quite easily.

> "Hardeep Singh Rai" will be written in tex as "hrdFp Es\2G rAy"

haradIp si.mh raay using devnag seems to be printing fine here.

-- Raj

| Raj Singh               | EMAIL : raj@ceeri.ernet.in      |
| CEERI, Pilani - 333 031 | PHONE : 91-159-7642359 (office) |
| Rajasthan (INDIA)       | FAX   : 91-159-7642294 (office) |