[Tugindia] First impression of "devnag"

S. venkataraman tugindia@tug.org
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:00:27 +0530

My experience was also similar.  I had typeset a form in that
package.  I had a difficult time doing it.  For example, to get a halan
I had to use the path you adopted.
Let me reiterate what I have been saying before in this list.
I think Itrans is the best package for indian language typesetting.
The preprocessor is not tied to any language, but to a font.

People working on windows
and  use
sanskrit can use Itranslator, a windows open source program written in
Delphi and
distributed by Omkarananda Ashram. You
to type in the text in one window and the sanskrit version appears on
the window below.
You can also insert Latex commands which it will ignore while carrying
out the transformation.
You can save the transliteration version, insert the latex commands, run
itrans and then
run latex to get the output. You can also save it as an RTF file and
open it and edit it in most
of the word processing programmes like word, wordperfect, pagemaker etc.
It also generates html.
This program is widely used to convert the sanskrit documents in
www.alkhemy.com/sanskrit.

As far as I know there is no such package for Linux.  Perhaps
the source code could be compiled using kylix, only experts who use
Kylix can tell.

Another route could be to create a package in elisp that converts the
text and shows in another
window. May be something like preview-latex is better.
Venkataraman.