[Tugindia] Error while previewing.

Baburaj A. Puthenveettil tugindia@tug.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:25:24 +0530 (IST)

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, David Kastrup wrote:

Dear Kastrup,

> First I'd recommend upgrading to a newer XEmacs as mentioned above.
> Apart from that, preview-latex 0.7.5 has been reported to install
> right out of the box also under Windows XP.

	The current version that I have seems to be lates XEmacs for
windows at sourceforgenet.

> If you want to use the autoconf-based installation, you need to have
> the Cygwin tools or a similar set of Unix-like utilities installed.
> There is a file outlining a manual installation procedure in case you
> don't want to use that.  Your XEmacs does not need to be of the
> Cygwin variety, nor does your TeX, and during normal operation no
> Unix-like utilities are required.

	I have MSYS on the system. I downloaded latex preview, and put all
the files in

C:\Program Files\XEmacs\xemacs-packages\lisp\preview-latex-0.7.5

Tried running configure from this directory. It didnt detect XEmacs. So
copied the files to

C:\Program Files\XEmacs\XEmacs-21.4.6\i586-pc-win32

.ie, the directory where xemacs.exe is kept. Xemacs and AuCtex was deteted
now but not ghostview. The following error is seen.

checking for gs... NONE
configure: error: gs not found!  Aborting!
You must install Ghostscript for preview to work

> Another point worth noting is that the installation tries looking for
> GhostScript under the name "gs".  While preview-latex's Lisp code can
> be configured to look for a different name, making an appropriate
> link to what may be called gswin32 or similar is probably the easiest
> way to achieve that.

	What you say above seems to be the problem. If I change the
following line in config.ini

AC_PATH_PROG_REQUIRED(GS, gs, [gs not found!  Aborting!
You must install Ghostscript for preview to work.])

to detect gswin32.exe will it work? How do I give a link to gswin32.exe.
My path for gs is C:\gs\gs7.03\bin

regards
Baburaj

Baburaj A.Puthenveettil,
Office:                                       Current Residence:
F.M.Lab, Dept of Mech Engg,                     U68, IISc
IISc, Bangalore, 560012                  Ph: 91 080 3942624,3942591,3600265
Ph: 91 080 3942302
Fax: 91 080 3600648
email: apbabu@mecheng.iisc.ernet.in, apbraj@rediffmail.com
http://www.mecheng.iisc.ernet.in/~apbabu