[Tugindia] Error while previewing.

David Kastrup tugindia@tug.org
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 12:21:29 +0100

H S Rai <hsraidce@iitr.ernet.in> writes:

> On previewing a even a small  formula, though preview render but I get
> following error:
>
> "(2) (error/warning)  Error in process filter:  (args-out-of-range [(1)
>  (221750 1751 87)] 2 )"
>
> I  also  get sometimes  duplicate  figures  of formula  i.e  graphical
> rendering of formula twice in place of once.
>
> I am using Xemacs version 21.1 and AFPL Ghostscript 7.04

21.1 is pretty old, and various versions of it have various levels of
bugginess.  The earliest version people have reported to work
somewhat reliably is 21.1.14.  But it will still have several
issues.  The first version that is known not to cause display
problems is 21.4.8 under Windows and 21.4.9 under X11.

XEmacs users _definitely_ need to use the newest version of
preview-latex, version 0.7.5: earlier versions have a bad bug in
compatibility macros that will cause _other_ packages that happen to
be loaded before preview-latex to fail (Gnus is one such package).

preview-latex 0.7.5 has been reported _not_ to work with AFPL
GhostScript 7.04: please upgrade either to GNU or ESP GhostScript
7.05, or to AFPL GhostScript 8.0 (which has been released just a week
ago).

I apologize for all the inconvenience.  On the upside, for the
recommended versions no problems are known or reported.