[Tuglist] front-end to latex

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
22 Aug 2002 10:57:15 +0530

    Sridhar> On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 12:53:47PM +0530, H.S.Rai wrote:

    Rai> Today at 5:32am -0000 Asokan  K wrote:

    Asokan> Users of KDE on linux can now download 'kile', > an
    Asokan> excellent latex source editor and project > manager. The
    Asokan> features of kile include

    Rai> Sounds fantastic !!!

    Rai> Is any one can compare this with Lyx.

    Sridhar> Have seen my colleagues use its previous avatar,
    Sridhar> KTeXmaker2. Kile is for KDE3 (correct me if I am
    Sridhar> wrong). It is a good ide like thing for LaTeX.  But, if
    Sridhar> one is accustomed to vim/emacs style of editors (lots of
    Sridhar> customisations, user defined macros, etc), then these
    Sridhar> things do not help there. But for a beginner it helps a
    Sridhar> lot.

I too join you Sridhar. With my emacs, auctex and reftex setup, it
goes pretty well rather than depending on menus and mouse clicks to
insert a symbol. If at all I need a preview like or WYSIWYG
appearance, I will go for David Kastrup's preview latex which does the
wonderful job of showing the previews instantaneously within emacs
without wasting the screen estate. In essence Emacs have the
facilities of the most powerful editor and advantages of previews.