[Tuglist] Devnagari fonts.

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:33:41 +0530 (IST)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 at 14:21, S. venkataraman wrote:

   >I guess, we can translate the metafont code can be translated into
   >type1 fonts. If we succeed in this, we can have type1 fonts for your
   >document. I did it for devnagari fonts of Franz Velthius.

   Where can one get the type 1 versions of Velthuis's fonts? I have
   the itrans package. (Available from www.aczone.com) It can
   produce HTML also in Indian Languages.)

I did it on an experimental basis with "TeXtrace" and didn't upload
to CTAN.

Here is what the README of TeXtrace says:

TeXtrace is a collection of scripts for UNIX that convert any TeX
font into a Type1 .pfb outline font immediately suitable for use
with dvips, pdftex, acroread (and any many other programs). The main
advantage of using Type1 fonts with TeX is that acroread renders
TeX's bitmap fonts ugly on screen, but it renders outline fonts
beutifully and fast.

TeXtrace can be downloaded from:

        http://www.inf.bme.hu/~pts/textrace-latest.tar.gz.
        http://www.inf.bme.hu/~pts/textrace/