[Tuglist] Expanding \input{files}

venkatesh t n tuglist@tug.org.in
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:33:44 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, H.S.Rai wrote:

> Still best feature I wish for, in some editor is that, with
> which, if you want expand \input files turn some particular
> option on, or otherwise keep it off to keep clean and small
> "master.tex" file.

You can try the "tags" feature in vi which is normally used  with
"ctags" for editing programs. The following example may be useful.

File "master.tex"
	\documentclass[12pt]{article}
	\begin{document}

	\input sub1.tex
	\input sub2.tex
	  :
	\end{document}

Create a "tags" file  in the same directory with the entries
sub1    sub1.tex        /^$/
sub2    sub2.tex        /^$/
	  :
sub11    sub11.tex        /^$/
sub12    sub12.tex        /^$/
	  :

NOTE : there should be  TABs between the entries, not spaces.

Then you can  edit the "master.tex" file in vi, posiiton the cursor
at the start of sub1 and press CTRL-]. The file sub1.tex will be opened.
To return to the master.tex file press CTRL-T.

HTH

Venkatesh

T. N. Venkatesh
PhD Student (ERP)          		  Scientist
Dept. of Aerospace Engg.                  Flosolver Unit
I. I. Sc.  Bangalore                      N. A. L. Bangalore