[Tuglist] Information about Indic scripts

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@gnu.org.in
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:58:22 +0530 (IST)

Forwarded is a mail from John Plaice (one of the two authors of
Omega) on a document processing system with Omega and Indic scripts
which is particularly of interest to the TeX Users in India. Views
of the list members are earnestly solicited.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:16:28 +1000
From: John Plaice <plaice@cse.unsw.edu.au>
To: plaice.india@cse.unsw.edu.au
Subject: Information about Indic scripts

Hello,

Yannis Haralambous and I are the leaders of the Omega Typesetting and
Document Processing System, whose aim is to become the successor to TeX,
with a particular focus on multilingual support.  The support for
Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Japanese and Thai is well developed,
and should soon be widely usable.  Some of you may know Yannis as he
is the designer of the TeX Sinhalese font.

We wish to have Omega properly support the Indic scripts.  To do this,
we need a lot of information that is not currently available to us.
If you can be of help, or you know of someone who can be contacted,
we would be most appreciative.

1. For each of the Indic scripts, are there any freely-available fonts?
   If so, what is the format, how widely used are they and how good are they?

2. For each of the Indic scripts, are there catalogues of glyphs, stating
   what are the appropriate or standard ligatures?  If there have been
   several standards over the years, where can these standards be found?

Many thanks,

John Plaice

P.S. The plaice.india@cse.unsw.edu.au mail alias corresponds to the
     recipients of the emails from Caturanga mgahv <caturang@yahoo.com>
     We are very enthusiastic about supporting the goals of the
     declarations made from that conference.