[tldoc] Russian translation (texlive-ru)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 23:40:02 CET 2017

On 24 March 2017 at 23:58, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> It seems to be an endless story.
>
> Russian:
>  Гербена Виерду...
>
> Serbian:
>  Гербен Вирда [Gerben Wierda]
>
> In Dutch his first name is Хербен in both, Russian and Serbian.
>
> Similarly, the name of Hans Hagen is correct in the Serbian
> translation (Ханс Хахен) but the Russian translation looks wrong
> (Ханс Хаген), at least if we prefer transcriptions.
>
> As far as Dutch is concerned, at TUG-2005 I've seen that Gerben was on
> the list of particpants but I didn't know him.  So I asked Hans Hagen
> "Who is Гербен?  Hans pointed to him and said "This is Хербен".

Then again I'm pretty sure that Serbs don't have the letter to
accurately represent the weird sound that Dutch produce for letter G,
so you cannot get it entirely correct either way. You could perhaps
write "kgh" (кбх)  :) :) :)

Nobody will have the slightest idea how to pronounce it (but that
won't be any different from trying to repeat the sound after hearing
it :) But it somewhat fits the mouth position used when pronouncing
that sound.

Not to be taken too seriously of course...

Mojca