[tldoc] Translating with Poedit & git/svn

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Jun 20 01:21:09 CEST 2011

Hi Mojca, hi all,

thanks for the nice write up of problems. I always was thinking
about investigating that a bit more, but never found time.

On Sa, 18 Jun 2011, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> 1.) If lines are short enough, TL's autoupdate will merge sources, like that:
>
> #: texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui.pl:605 texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui.pl:607
>
> while Poedit will split them:
>
> #: texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui.pl:605
> #: texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui.pl:607

Never realized that.

> 2.) TL insist in translations being shorter than 80 characters, while
> Poedit insists in having as long lines as needed to fit the whole

Yes, that is the painful change.

we are using the GNU tools msgmerge xgettext etc for managing the
message.pot file and merging it into the .po files (see
tlpkg/bin/tl-update-messages)

If we can do something on this side I would be happy to make the necessary
changes to that script

> On top of that there are constant changes in TL that:
> - change line numbers in comments

That is something we cannot prevent, sorry.

> - change a single word in sentence and then the old translation flies
> to comments and the new one appears untranslated

That is a pain, and it shouldn't happen that often anymore. But I know
about this problem and I am well aware, but you know ...

Best wishes

Norbert