[tldoc] translation start

Daniel Flipo daniel.flipo at univ-lille1.fr
Mon Jul 21 19:31:41 CEST 2008

Hi everybody,

I have finished translating the README files (thanks Karl for htmltext
script, it works flawlessly for French) and (part of) the texlive guide
(up to section 5, I wait for Karl's corrections before translating the
rest). I have some questions and suggestions:

1) For me the lonely subsubsection "The location parameter" in section
3.3 looks strange (as fo French, I have deleted the subsubsection and
inserted its content inside the description list above).

2) In the "Network installations",  I do not understand the purpose of
this part of text:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
This is true even if \dirname{$TEXMFLOCAL} is on the same
level as the other trees instead of one level higher. You can see
this at work in the configuration file
\filename{$TEXMFMAIN/web2c/texmf.cnf}, which contains lines such as
\begin{sverbatim}
TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/../texmf-local
\end{sverbatim}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The crucial point is that all paths are relative to the binaries, what
is special about TEXMFLOCAL? Am I missing something?

3) [section 3.4.7 Integration local and personal macros]
I have added a short mention to TDS for TEXMFLOCAL and TEXMFHOME because
many users think they can just drop their files at the root of TEXMFHOME
and they are done ;-)

Here is the text I added for French, if anyone cares:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Dans les deux cas, les fichiers ajoutés doivent être placés, non pas en
vrac à la racine de \dirname{TEXMFLOCAL} ou \dirname{TEXMFHOME}, mais
dans des sous-répertoires bien choisis (voir \url{http://tug.org/tds} ou
lire le fichier \filename{texmf.cnf}). Par exemple, une classe ou une
extension \LaTeX{} ne sera trouvée que si elle est dans
\dirname{TEXMFLOCAL/tex/latex} ou \dirname{TEXMFHOME/tex/latex} ou dans
un sous-répertoire de ceux-ci.

Enfin, si les ajouts ont été faits sous \dirname{TEXMFLOCAL}, il y a
lieu de régénérer les bases de données \filename{ls-R} (commande
\cmdname{mktexlsr} sous Unix).

4) Last thing, about tex-live.sty. I wonder why encoding 'latin-1' is
mandatory for every language except for Russian. IMHO, the choice would
better be left to each texlive-xy.tex file (it is no problem for me
under Emacs, but I know people using Kile or TeXmaker with their locales
in UTF-8 having problems with files in other encodings).

Best,
--
Daniel Flipo