[tldistro] [tlbuild] problems with synctex - warning to others

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Fri Apr 20 07:29:41 CEST 2018

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:40:58PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> HI all,
>
> it is worse than I thought ...
>
> > * it changes API without bumping so (synctex_nex_result is renamed!)
>
> Unfortunately, synctex_next_result wasn't only renamed to
> synctex_parser_next_result (that would be easy to fix), but all the
> types and structs have changed.
>
> That means, everyone distributing shared libraries of synctex need to
> bump the so number as this is not fixable unless all programs are
> recompiled against the new version of synctex.

Ouch ... such a major change requires a change of the major so number (IMHO)
but AFAICS upstream does ignore this:

#   define SYNCTEX_VERSION_MAJOR 1
#   define SYNCTEX_VERSION_STRING "1.21"
#   define SYNCTEX_CLI_VERSION_STRING "1.5"

Beside texlive-synctex-bin I found zathura as a package which depends on
libsynctex.so.1 :(

Werner