[tldistro] libxpdf vs poppler

Alexis Ballier aballier at gentoo.org
Mon Apr 14 23:57:59 CEST 2008

Hi,

For some time I've been asking myself about using poppler or keeping
libxpdf from texlive.
I've seen some other distros patching texlive to use poppler. I can
easily see the pros (code sharing, less security issues, etc.) but also
see some cons: api changes in poppler, differing from what the texlive
team has been working with, possible subtle differences between the
two...

I'd like to know a few things about this: How do you handle these
problems ? Is it a source of headaches or does it just solve much more
problems than it may cause ? Do different poppler releases require
code/patches adjustments ?

And for the texlive team: What are the plans about this ? I cant see
anything related to that in svn; is poppler definitely a no-no or is it
just planned but not yet done because of lack of time ?
I suppose having official support for poppler would mean working with
xetex and pdftex teams rather than texlive's.

Regards,

Alexis.