[tlbuild] CMake

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Dec 25 02:46:30 CET 2018

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018, Karl Berry wrote:
> The bottom line for me is that if there is any impetus to switch, the
> work will have to be done by someone other than me, and I will no longer
> work on configuration. I just can't do it. --best, karl.

I think this is the core point. After Peter passed away most of the
auto* stuff was done by Akira and Karl, and a bit by me (don't get angry
if I forgot someone). We try to keep that going.

Another build system needs a lot of work to develop, but above that it
needs a certain dedication in the future, too. If the developer of an
alternative build system just happens to loose interest in TeX for
whatever reason (work, ...), who will care for the build system when the
current core members have no experience with them - and probably no time
to learn a new build system?

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer