[tlbuild] missing libiconv when compiling xdvik on FreeBSD

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Tue Apr 3 18:04:35 CEST 2018

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 13:10:54 +0200
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is yet another example of how it can work: by not installing
> libiconv package at all (based on the post by Johannes I guess that it
> got installed on my machine when I installed rsync). I still guess
> that libiconv functionality is there in your build, just that it
> doesn't require an external/optional library.
[...]
> In the meantime I made two additional experiments:
> - I added --without-iconv and that worked (as expected).
> - I replaced the iconv search by the proposed change in configure.ac.
> The build worked, but for a strange reason I no longer have the
> xdvi-xaw binary. I didn't have time to investigate yet.
>
> I could try to remove all ports that depend on libiconv and try again,
> but I guess I would see another successful build.
>
> Luckily I'm not responsible for providing the FreeBSD binaries, I'll
> just add --without-iconv flag to make the builds succeed for now, in
> the meantime I hope that this gets addressed upstream:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/xdvi/bugs/401/. I'll likely need more local
> testing to confirm that this in fact solves the issue (it doesn't
> really help if I end up without one binary).

Well, the hardcore FreeBSDer's philosophy is to build everything (that
will be distributed) in a jail(8), prior to which just prerequisites are
built and absolutely nothing more (imitating ports system). Jails are so
simple and great and they are one of those things for which one falls
in love with FreeBSD.

Judging from your mails, every other way is obviously very painful. Too
many unexpected combinations of everything.

--
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић  :  https://www.hse.ru/staff/ndlecic
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B