[tlbuild] missing libiconv when compiling xdvik on FreeBSD

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Tue Apr 3 10:31:02 CEST 2018

Hi all,

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 21:26:55 +0000
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> How does Nikola build it? I have an impression that some systems
> simply always ship the library (I suspect macOS does so). I do
> exclude it on Solaris, I think.

Here is my newest build log:

  http://anthesphoria.net/FreeBSD/TeXLive-Devel/TL-Logs-47244.10release64.log

It's done in a clean jail with 10-RELEASE (amd64); you will find in the
log what ports are installed in order to build TL. The installed ports
are of the age of release itself.

And this is how these binaries are seen from up-to-date 11.0-RELEASE, on
my real-life working laptop:

  http://anthesphoria.net/FreeBSD/TeXLive-Devel/TL-LDD-47244.10release64.log

As you can see, the only non-portable binary is xdvi-xaw (without iconv
linking); and as I used to do in the last 2-3 years, I'll build it with
static library linking -- there's no other way to make it portable.

Let me know if I can provide any other info.

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 19:28:32 +0200
Johannes Hielscher <jhielscher at posteo.de> wrote:

> I exported TL_COMPILER_GFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" (so that --with-x
> --enable-xetex finds all its third-party dependencies in
> /usr/local/{include,lib}). But in my environment, the linker was not
> confused by the two iconv.h present from BSD and the GNU iconv from
> the converters/libiconv port (which is, BTW, not listed by Nikola as a
> prerequisite at http://anthesphoria.net/FreeBSD/TeXLive-2017/ ).

I used to build TeX Live prior to 2018 on a very old system (7.1);
there was no FreeBSD's own iconv library at the time. GNU libiconv was
installed as a dependency of one of the ports that I listed as required.

Unfortunately, I deleted all build logs from 2017 which document how
GNU libiconv was treated at the time. If I find something in the old
backups, I'll post it here, for the record.

--
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић  :  https://www.hse.ru/staff/ndlecic
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B