[tlbuild] PPC builds

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Sun Apr 1 15:49:13 CEST 2018

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 20:44:26 +0200
schrieb Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>:
> >> I also wonder if the number of of sparc-solaris users of our
> >> binaries exceeds zero. Maybe we should implement some kind of big
> >> "red" warning in the installer for some architectures, saying: "if
> >> you are still using these binaries, please leave us feedback; if
> >> we don't get any feedback, the binaries will be removed next
> >> year".
> >
> > I second this. Builders shouldn't have to guess if supporting some
> > legacy platform is useful for people out there, or rather their
> > personal hobby. Users of those platforms should know this, so let's
> > encourage them to give feedback.
> >
> > Then, we have the platform list at
> > https://www.tug.org/texlive/build.html (that has to be revised
> > anyway). Perhaps, split it into active (binaries from tlnet/svn)
> > and passive ports (formerly packaged, build instructions may still
> > be useful).
>
> What would be passive ports? I don't see any reason to explicitly list
> platforms that used to be supported and have been dropped. If people
> need binaries, they should simply try to build them.

Yes, of course. I thought too much. What I had imagined (maybe a little
sentimental), was a record of "Until the 2017 release, TL binaries used
to be shipped on platforms: …". Not too formal or promising.

However, anyone (including myself now) who reads the pretest/release
changelogs and their extensive sort-of-archive in the "Release history"
section of https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html
does find this information already. So, in fact, no need for another
fragmentation of the docs.

Johannes