[tlbuild] dvisvgm

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 16:59:06 CET 2017

On 11 February 2017 at 09:20, Martin Gieseking wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I successfully compiled the original fontforge sources without having
>> to fiddle manually with any of those extra flags, so it must be
>> something special about dvisvgm's build system that triggers the
>> problem.
>
> Does it help just to replace
>  #if !defined( HAVE_LIBINTL_H )
> with
>  #if 1
>
> in libs/ff-woff/inc/intl.h? The reduced fontforge library bundled with
> dvisvgm doesn't include the translations anyway, so it's not necessary to
> fiddle around with gettext.

It looks to me that HAVE_LIBINTL_H is defined config.h as expected,
but I don't see where config.h is actually included, it's probably
not. So at the time when intl.h does its job, it doesn't know that
libintl.h exists and it enters the firs loop

    #if !defined( HAVE_LIBINTL_H )
        // processes whatever is written here
    #else
        // ...

But then, somehow, magically, from some mystesious reason, libintl.h
gets included nonetheless and clashes with definitions from that #if
above. I wasn't able to prevent that. I searched for libintl.h, but
the only source were some files that I don't understand. For example
the file "dvisvgm-src/libs/clipper/.deps/clipper.Po" included a number
of references to that header.

If I replaced "#if !defined( HAVE_LIBINTL_H )" with "#if 1" then the
compiler choked in the same way as before when reading libintl.h.

But it worked if I replaced that with "#if 0", basically doing the
same thing as Apostolos did with #define HAVE_LIBINTL_H. But of course
later failed with "Undefined symbol libintl_gettext" while linking.

Basically I have no idea how to prevent including libintl.h. Nothing I
tried helped. (Maybe I need to get another cup of coffee or sleep it
over? :)

Maybe it would work if there was no trace of libintl in configure.ac.
(That would take much longer for me to test as running autotools on
Solaris is a bit problematic and I might end up running in circles by
patching wrong files or in the wrong way.)