[tlbuild] dvisvgm

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Feb 9 19:34:46 CET 2017

    in the sources. Is this something that one can influence (for example
    with --disable-gs / --without-gs)?

Not at present. I removed all of those gs-related configure options
because it wasn't clear to me any of them were still needed or useful.

I don't think you want to disable libgs. People vociferously complained
when I tried to distribute a binary that didn't have that feature.
(The result being that I had to set up a whole separate build tree for
dvisvgm, but I digress.)

    Is it a problem if it's not used in the TL build?

Not being used (linked against) is the desired outcome for TL. In
dvisvgm/configure.ac, I force HAVE_LIBGS=0 for
--enable-native-texlive-build; the result is that it is loaded at
runtime with dlopen.

    Should it be used in the package manager?

If you're distributing an integrated set of packages which are intended
to work together, then there would be no harm in it. For example, I
would expect GNU/Linux distros to distribute their own dvisvgm binary
which is dynamically linked against whatever libgs.so they provide.

On the other hand, I don't see a downside to always dlopen-ing it.
I (or, better, Martin :) could add a configure flag for that. --karl