[tlbuild] dvisvgm-2.1 trial build

Richard M. Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 1 23:52:57 CET 2017

Karl,

I have no problem with this decision.

However, the statement "the sources should compile fine with gcc 4.8.1,
clang 3.3, or any later versions" suggest to me that the authors haven't
investigated clang very thoroughly, or possibly the problem isn't due to C++1
on modern systems. On the latest version of OS X,

	clang --version

gives

	Apple LLVM version 8.0.0 (clang-800.0.42.1)

Going to the clang.llvm.org <http://clang.llvm.org/> sites, in a page dated January 12, 2017,
we read

-----

Clang fully implements all published ISO C++ standards (C++98 / C++03 <https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html#cxx98>, C++11 <https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html#cxx11>, and C++14 <https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html#cxx14>), and most of the upcoming C++1z <https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html#cxx17> standard.
The Clang community is continually striving to improve C++ standards compliance between releases by submitting and tracking C++ Defect Reports <https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_dr_status.html> and implementing resolutions as they become available.

Experimental work is also under way to implement C++ Technical Specifications <https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html#ts> that will help drive the future of the C++ programming language.

Clang 3.3 and later implement all of the ISO C++ 2011 standard <http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=50372>.

By default, Clang builds C++ code according to the C++98 standard, with many C++11 features accepted as extensions. You can use Clang in C++11 mode with the -std=c++11 option. Clang's C++11 mode can be used with libc++ <http://libcxx.llvm.org/> or with gcc's libstdc++

------

Being an amateur in these matters, I probably don't understand details. But since one error on OS X mentions locale-r, and since I definitely found this defined in OS X headers, and since a blog site says the error is related to a conflict between X11 headers and OS X headers on the Mac,
and since Apple no longer supplies X11 or its headers (which now come from open source), it would be fun to see what happens if X11 is turned off
in TeX Live

Do you know if this can be done by disabling a small number of programs? And will dvisvgm still compile?

Dick Koch