[tlbuild] tex4ht binary update please

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 09:58:56 CEST 2016

On 21 September 2016 at 00:51, Karl Berry wrote:
> I just made a tiny change to tex4ht.c (in Build/source/texk/tex4htk)
> to allow the tex4ht binary to process the updated xdv id byte in xetex
> for tl'2016 (i.e., 0.99996).  Without this, htxelatex and the like
> simply bail out.

Do you have a minimal example that we could test before uploading the binary?

> The change to the source is below.  There have been numerous and varied
> other changes to the source tree since the release, but they should not
> affect recompilation.  Of course if you can apply the change to your
> existing 2016 source tree, that would be safest.  (I don't feel like
> making a branch and asking everyone to use it, that seems like a lot of
> extra work for no real gain.)

Doesn't that branch exist already? I thought that
    http://tug.org/svn/texlive/branches/branch2016/
was made with (also) that use case in mind.

It would be nice to update that branch. I'm not 100% sure what's in my
sources and I would feel safer if I would compiler from a clean
branch.

> In any case, nothing but the tex4ht binary is needed or desired.
> Everything else will have changed if you compile from the current
> sources, but don't commit any other new binaries!  (And if there are
> build breakages [not unlikely], that is a separate problem.)

I've hit a problem that most likely wasn't there during TL2016 build period.

/opt/csw/bin/ginstall: cannot create regular file
'/path/to/texlive/Build/source/inst/texmf-dist/web2c/mktexdir.opt':
File exists

The problem is that I tried to build i386 and x86_64 binaries from the
same directory (on the same machine) at more or less the same time
with the following shell script.

# for i386
export CC=/opt/csw/bin/gcc-5.2
export CXX=/opt/csw/bin/g++-5.2
p=`uname -p`
export TL_WORKDIR=Work-$p
TL_MAKE=gmake nohup ./Build --without-iconv >& ../build-$p.out &

# for x86_64
export CC='/opt/csw/bin/gcc-5.2 -m64'
export CXX='/opt/csw/bin/g++-5.2 -m64'
p=x86_64
export TL_WORKDIR=Work-$p
TL_MAKE=gmake nohup ./Build --without-iconv --disable-upmendex >&
../build-$p.out &

Is it possible to avoid that error or should I change my habits?