[tlbuild] LuaJITTeX on Solaris 10 (x86_64)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:48:26 CEST 2016

On 28 April 2016 at 17:23, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have noticed that now by default luajittex is disabled on
> x86_64-*-solaris* platforms. Yesterday I built everything but asy
> and I noticed the following in Work/config.log
>
> configure:4173: x86_64-pc-solaris2.11 -> `--disable-luajittex'
> configure:4186: x86_64-pc-solaris2.11 -> `--disable-mfluajit'
>
> Sometime ago I compiled liajittex just fine on this platform.
> Could someone let me know why it is disabled now?

One further piece of information.

Luajittex for x86_64-solaris compiles fine on both version 10 and 11.
The problem is that it fails to work on version 10.

I then checked the properties of luajittex as compiled on Solaris 11:

> pvs luajittex
        libsocket.so.1 (SUNW_1.4);
        libresolv.so.2 (SUNW_2.2.2);
        libnsl.so.1 (SUNW_1.7, SUNWprivate_1.1);
        libm.so.2 (SUNW_1.2);
        libc.so.1 (SUNW_1.23, SUNWprivate_1.1);

This in principle means that the binary should run just fine on
version 10. And indeed it happily "works":

solaris10> ./luajittex --version
This is LuajitTeX, Version 0.95.0 (TeX Live 2016)

Execute  'luajittex --credits'  for credits and version details.

There is NO warranty. Redistribution of this software is covered by
the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or (at your option)
any later version. For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the LuaTeX source.

LuaTeX is Copyright 2016 Taco Hoekwater and the LuaTeX Team.

The problem is consistent with the binary compiled on Solaris 10 though:

solaris10> ./luajittex --luaonly
Can't create the Lua state.
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

as opposed to:

solaris11> ./luajittex --luaonly
No script file given

or

solaris10> ./luatex --luaonly
No script file given

(also with luatex compiled on version 11).

I wonder if we couldn't perhaps make luajittex a symlink to luatex on
platforms where luajittex is missing or broken :) :) :)
>From what I understood Luigi and Hans, JIT doesn't always bring speed
improvements for the way it is used in ConTeXt and I bet nobody would
even notice. On the other hand there's hardly any need to actually run
luajittex manually.

We could in principle ship a luajittex binary that would work on
Solaris 11 and would be broken on Solaris 10, but then format
generation on Solaris 10 would cause headaches (which is probably not
something we want).

Mojca

(PS: Just for fun I might try to build luajittex on Solaris 10 and see
if that same binary works on Solaris 11.)