[tlbuild] Asymptote for Solaris

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 17:54:16 CEST 2016

On 17 April 2016 at 16:56, John Bowman wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> ncurses and readline are needed together.
>
> Likewise, glut and gl go together; there's no use having one without the
> other.
> You should be able to use freeglut as a substitute.

It doesn't really help me if neither glut nor freeglut is installed on
the machine where asy might be executed.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Karl, do you have any glut/freeglut installed on
your Solaris box? I'm only able to find the one that comes with the
package manager, but it's true that "locate" doesn't work on that
machine and I didn't do anything else but try to search for the
library at a few standard locations.

We have the following options:
- don't provide asymptote for Solaris at all
- provide one without support for 3D which will work everywhere (I
believe this is what we are currently doing, but I might be wrong)
- provide a binary with support for 3D that won't run without
corresponding libraries installed by a third-party package manager
(where asy could then just as well be installed with that same package
manager and with full support for all extra features)
- statically compile and link [free]glut and a few more libraries
- something I haven't thought of yet

Suggestions?

> sigsegv is not needed; it just helps distinguish stack overflows
> (e.g. due to infinite recursion) from actual segmentation faults.
> If you don't have sigsegv then configure will automatically disable it.

The problem is that I'm compiling on a machine that has it for a
machine that might not have it. Currently I have to manually disable
it (i.e. remove the corresponding lines from configure.ac, run
autoreconf and then configure). It would be handy if I could use
--without/disable-sigsegv as a configure flag.