[tlbuild] Problems with xdvipdmfx (at least) and some fonts

Fabian Greffrath fabian at greffrath.com
Mon Aug 31 12:14:30 CEST 2015

Hi again,

my previous patch contained a typo, sorry:
s/FcPatternAddBoolean/FcPatternAddBool/

Anyway, I have improved my previous approach and would like to present
you a new one that I am more happy with. It keeps the original
FcFontSet* allFonts intact and instead introduces a new FcFontSet*
allFontsSort that is created, sorted by pattern matching and destroyed
again in XeTeXFontMgr_FC::searchForHostPlatformFont(), which makes it
more robust against multiple calls to this function. Please note that I
had to add FC_CHARSET to the properties passed to FcObjectSetBuild() so
that fontconfig is able to prefer fonts with wider glyph coverage.

The debug code now prints:

 * 0: URW Palladio L Roman	/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/p052003l.pfb
 * 1: URW Palladio L Roman	/usr/share/fonts/type1/texlive-fonts-recommended/uplr8a.pfb
 * 2: URW Palladio L Bold	/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/p052004l.pfb
 * 3: URW Palladio L Bold	/usr/share/fonts/type1/texlive-fonts-recommended/uplb8a.pfb
 * 4: URW Palladio L Italic	/usr/share/fonts/type1/texlive-fonts-recommended/uplri8a.pfb
 * 5: URW Palladio L Italic	/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/p052023l.pfb
 * 6: URW Palladio L Bold Italic	/usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/p052024l.pfb
 * 7: URW Palladio L Bold Italic	/usr/share/fonts/type1/texlive-fonts-recommended/uplbi8a.pfb

This makes perfect sense now, because the fonts are ordered by family
first, then by style and then by glyph coverage (except for the italic
style, apparently; I will have to investigate that; maybe I have to add
some other properties to be saved in the FcObjectSet).

Enough for today!

Best regards,

Fabian