[tlbuild] Building TL 2015

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 11:03:56 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> As far as I understand Dick is compiling on a 32-bit only machine (at
>> least in this particular test). So I don't understand why adding an
>> explicit "-m32" or "-arch i386" should be necessary.
>

> Such flags would certainly do no harm.  Moreover Dick's original message
> says:
>
>   But it looks like the config script initially learns that it is running
>   on a 32 bit system, but later decides that it is building for 64 bits,
>
> From that I conclude that the compiler can do both.

But he also said that he compiled on 10.5 (which should generate
32-bit binaries by default).

While I don't dare to claim that the compiler isn't capable of
generating 64-bit binaries, maybe it is (running 64-bit 10.5 was
certainly possible, but very very exotic), it's definitely an error if
the configure script decides that 64-bit stuff should be built.

I would understand if the configure script would accidentally decide
to build something 64-bit when running on 64-bit 10.6 and cross
compiling for 32-bit 10.5. But doing that on a native 32-bit system
shouldn't require specifying any extra flags.