[tlbuild] Patching pdftex

Florian Breitwieser florian.bw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 15:09:13 CET 2013

Dear tex people,

I'd like to use a patched version of pdftex which contains fixes for
the PDF/A specification [1]. The most recent source of stand-alone
pdftex is 1.40.11 from 3 years ago at Sarovar [2]. I tried compiling
the patched version in two ways:

1) using --without-system-kpathsea [default in the build-pdftex.sh]:
This worked, however the executable does not find the files which the
system kpsewhich sees, and therefore is not working [3]

2) using --without-system-kpathsea: Compilation fails at various points.

TeX Live 2013 has pdftex version 1.40.14. Is pdftex now maintained at
TexLive? Further, if I port the patch, is there a way to only build
and then use a patched pdftex?

[1] http://sarovar.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=4341&group_id=106&atid=493
[2] http://sarovar.org/projects/pdftex/
[3] I asked at Stackexchange: