[tlbuild] TeX Live 2013 build status at Utah

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Thu Jun 20 09:37:56 CEST 2013

On Tue, 28 May 2013, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> Most packages that use -liconv can be configured without it, but not
> xdvik: it ignores any --without-iconv or -with-iconv=no options.

Hi Nelson,

first of all it should be '--with-iconv=no' - '-with-xx' and '-without-xx'
are only kept for backward compatibility and might well disappear some day.

I have just built xdvik using '--without-iconv' and the resulting binary
does not use iconv() and instead contains the string
   This version of xdvi has been compiled without iconv support...

Perhaps you should specify exactly how you arrived at your conclusion.

> Examination of its configure script shows that is can be built with
> --with-recode instead, to use librecode.  I tried that, but that too

this is definitely not so (there is no '--with-recode' in xdvik/configure,
although there is such an option for xindy).  When trying to build with
iconv() xdvik tests if this is available without additional library (as on
most GNU systems) or requires libiconv or else librecode.

Regards
Peter