[tlbuild] pruning platforms

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Tue May 28 23:08:45 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:04:16PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> We need to save space on the DVD -- turns out that
> TL+protext+CTAN+MacTeX is bigger than a dual-layer DVD can hold.  We
> exclude a little more from CTAN every year :).

Too late, but just a thought. While checking what makes up most of my
TL2013 installation, I noticed that we have now around 550MB taken by
only two packages of of very bad quality (quite useless IMO) Persian
fonts; persian-hm-ftx and persian-hm-xbs. Do we really need all these
fonts on the DVD?

Also, I've also serious doubt about the legality of some of these fonts,
for example HM FBadr looks like a clone/copy of Badr LT[1], and that is
not the only suspicious font in the collection.

[1] http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/badr-lt/

Regards,
Khaled