[tlbuild] sparc-solaris (was: asy and other status)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 00:10:08 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Karl Berry wrote:

> Third, re platforms:
>
> - sparc-solaris: I have not yet heard from Vladimir despite repeated pleas.
> Nelson, we need to use the results on your sparc fleet ...

First of all, I tested building on sparc-solaris several times and the
problems were basically the same as Apostolos reported (and fixed),
including those make/gmake patches in freetype2. As a consequence I
suspect that once x86_64-solaris and i386-solaris build, there should
be no problems on sparc-solaris left either.

I didn't manage to get a successful build yet, but only because the
last time I tried (a few days ago) not all the issues have been
resolved yet. I'm running a new compilation now (with one tiny patch
from Apostolos that was apparently still needed).

Second, I don't own a solaris myself, but I wanted to find a
sparc-solaris for compiling for ConTeXt distribution and I came across
a build farm on OpenCSW (http://www.opencsw.org/about/) whose goal is
to work with upstream developers to make sure that the software
compiles on Solaris.

They provide Solaris (8), 9, 10 and 11 for both sparc and i386.

I believe that there should be no problem setting an extra account for
Karl, Peter or whoever else would need it - if that would help getting
rid of compilation problems early. The main question is whether you
would want to deal with solaris.