[tlbuild] OS X

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Wed Apr 3 23:49:20 CEST 2013

Folks,

I compiled the latest TeX Live today on all three OS X platforms
without difficulty, passing all the tests.

I also compiled asymptote on all three platforms. To do that,
I had to replace interact.cc with the previous version in the TeX Live
svn. Several others on tlbuild report the same bug, and possible
fix (maybe it won't be the final fix).

I ran into one other problem. My copy of the TeX Live svn is on
an external hard disk, which I move from platform to platform.
After compiling asymptote in 64 bits on Snow Leopard, I tried
to compile it in 32 bits on Leopard using

	make clean
	./configure …
	make …

and ran into an error that certain object files were compiled
for the wrong architecture. The reason turns out to be that
the source tree contains gc-7.2d.tar.gz, which is uncompressed
during the first make, During that make, the contents of
the uncompressed folder are compiled. But in later makes,
if the uncompressed folder exists, its contents are not recompiled.
In short,

	make clean

does not really clean up everything in asymptote. Before
rebuilding, I remove the folder.

------------

Perhaps it is useful to explain briefly the technique used
on OS X to compile; we used this technique last year, and
it works again this year.

The build tools on OS X like to use shared libraries
if at all possible. It isn't enough to tell the tools to use
static libraries; you also have to remove temptation by
disabling shared libraries.

We first install three libraries in /usr/local: fftw-3.3.3,
gsl-1.15, and readline-6.2. We remove all traces of
shared libraries from this installation so only static
libraries remain. The Mac contains a shared library
for readme, and we temporarily disable that library.
Then we compile asymptote, and it then statically
links with these three libraries.

Dick Koch