[tlbuild] building without linked-scripts

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Nov 12 11:46:06 CET 2012

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Currently I disable the linked_scripts (and context, which is anyway
> separate) in texk/texlive/Makefile.am
> -SUBDIRS = context linked_scripts
> +SUBDIRS =
>
> That works out nicely, after this the installed stuff is actually
> fine, no dangling links to the scripts hierarchy etc.
>
> Only *one* script is wrong: m-tx, which after build/install of the
> source is
> 	m-tx -> ../share/texlive/texmf-dist/scripts/m-tx/m-tx.lua
> (path due to Debian configuration).

Hi Norbert,

I don't quite understand your problem with that link, because 'make install'
in utils/m-tx will install that link and the lua script excactly as pmx2pdf
and the corresponding lua script are installed in utils/pmx.

When I use
   --prefix=/opt/TeXlive --disable-native-texlive-build
I get these two (non-dangling) symlinks
   m-tx -> ../share/texmf-dist/scripts/m-tx/m-tx.lua
   pmx2pdf -> ../share/texmf-dist/scripts/pmx/pmx2pdf.lua
in /opt/TeXlive/bin.

In the same way 'make install' in texk/texlive/linked_scripts installs both
symlinks and the scripts they point to.

=========================

The rest is package building: if you exlude the scripts you must equally
exclude the symlinks.  You can do that when multiplatform is disabled (as
implied when native-texlive-build is disabled) because then all these symlinks
are identical for all Unix systems.  With multiplatform enabled the symlinks
are in an architecture dependent location and therefore should better come
with all the other binaries and together with the corresponding scripts.  In
that case those scripts could/should be omitted from the architecture
independent package(s).

Regards
Peter