[tlbuild] [tex-live] Raspbian texlive

simon at getthingsfixed.co.uk simon at getthingsfixed.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 13:08:48 CEST 2012

Karl et al,

On Monday 10 September 2012 23:26:25 Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Simon (and Boris),
>
>     S> But 2012 hasn't got the armhf binaries
>
> I'm sorry, but the distinction between the plethora of arm* platforms,
> and which are compatible with which others, simply cannot get into my
> brain.  I've never seen any comprehensible description of the names, for
> starters.
>
>     B> but LuaTeX seems to have problems since it uses floating
>     point, which is implemented on armhf in a peculiar way.
>
> If possible, it seems to me it would be good for that to be fixed by
> making luatex work in any case.
>
> But I'm guessing there are other reasons to have armhf anyway.  (Mojca
> wrote about this topic too, but then as now, any understandable
> conclusions escaped me.  Sorry.)
>
> At any rate, next year there will be an option to have binaries
> choosable/installable from the net in the standard way which are not on
> the DVD.  So adding more platforms doesn't have much impact.  (I'm not
> saying armhf would not be on the DVD, necessarily, just that we'll have
> the option of including more platforms in general because of the
> decoupling from the DVD.)
>
>     S> to supply the official armhf binaries for texlive?
>
> If you want to, great, and please subscribe to the tlbuild list
> (and further discussion would be better there, not here).

Built via "bash ./Build", then wait 8hrs. The only hassle I had was
insufficient RAM for running the bibtex tests; fixed by giving it 1GB
swapfile. Build ran without barfing all the way to the end.

Is that sufficient?

> BTW, it's not required to build xindy and asy, from my point of view.
> Not all platforms have them.  Or if you build them so that they have
> additional shared library dependency, that's better than not at all.
> That also is the case on some platforms.

How inconvenient is it for other people to not have xindy/asy? Is it worth me
downloading/compiling sources for all the dependent tools (clisp and it's
dependents) to  make a tool that _I_ might not want to use?

So I assume that the bottom line is that I send a tgz of the armhf binaries to
somewhere.

Simon
--
Get Things Fixed