[tlbuild] yet another progress report from Utah: OpenBSD (mostly a success)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 5 00:12:39 CEST 2012

Hi nelson,

    the man page for ar and ld on both Solaris and GNU/Linux this morning,
    and find no mention in any of them of that possibility.

Well, in principle .a files are containers that can hold anything.  But
I've never seen one incorporate "sub"-.a's either.  I'm not surprised it
causes failures.

    QUESTION: Karl, or whoever else is maintaining kpathsea: why are *.a
    files added to the libkpathsea.a file by commands in the Makefile?

I am not aware of any such thing.  Certainly libkpathsea.a does not
contain the .a's for all those other libraries in my i386-linux build,
or any other build I've ever heard of.  It seems completely useless, not
to mention highly problematic, for them to be there.

Thus I suspect it is a function or bug in the libtool code on openbsd.