[tlbuild] more on /usr/local/lib dependencies

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Thu Apr 19 16:05:20 CEST 2012

I'm trying to automate TeX Live 2012 builds across a broad range of
architectures (about 25), and the preliminary scripts for doing so are
available here:

	http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/tlbuild/

So far, builds have been successful on only a handful of systems, and
as I reported earlier on this list, I encountered dependence on
libraries in the /usr/local tree for xdvi-xaw, and showed how to
manually patch the source/Work/texk/xdvik/c-auto.h file and rebuild to
eliminate reference to libiconv.

What I'm seeing on several platforms is failure of the automated
builds to correctly propagate requests to build with specific
libraries, and without iconv:

% cd /local/build/bare/texlive-20120417/source/inst/bin/alphaev56-unknown-linux-gnu
% /usr/local/src/texlive/show-texlive-libs.sh
      1 Unwanted dependencies on local libraries
      1 inimf           /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
      1 mf              /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
      1 pdfclose        /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
      1 pdfopen         /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
      1 xdvi-xaw        /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.2
			/usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
      1 xdvipdfmx       /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
			/usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
			/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.6
			/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
			/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.1
      1 xelatex         /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
			/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.6
			/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
			/usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.1
      1 xetex           /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
			/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.so.6
			/usr/local/lib/libz.so.1
		        /usr/local/lib/libexpat.so.1

xelatex is just a symlink to xetex, and inimf to mf; the others
are real executables.

The top-level --without-iconv configure option is passed down to the
xdvi build, but configure finds iconv.h and libiconv.so, and uses them
despite my request to ignore them.

The fontconfig and freetype dependencies should have been eliminated
by the top-level setting of the FONTCONFIG_LIBS environment variable,
but make is invoked without the -e option, so that variable does not
propagate correctly.

The master script, build-texlive-2012.sh, supplies settings of
TL_BUILD_ENV and TL_COMPILER_GFLAGS with required static libraries and
header file locations, and ultimately invokes the standard Build
script with a sharply-reduced environment containing only TL_MAKE,
HOME, PATH, TL_BUILD_ENV, and TL_COMPILER_GFLAGS variables.

>From examination of the Build script, it looks like I can just
include TL_MAKE_FLAGS=-e to propagate FONTCONFIG_LIBS, but the
problem of the ignored --without-iconv in xdvi remains.

Am I doing something wrong?  How are other members of this list
avoiding references to libiconv in xdvi-xaw?