[tlbuild] libiconv issue

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Apr 18 10:33:31 CEST 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> Also, there is inconsistency in configure scripts: some want
> --disable-FEATURE and others --without-FEATURE, and FEATURE might be
> iconv or libiconv or nls.  Also, it is often unclear from --help
> output whether FEATURE is enabled or disabled by default; you
> only figure that out after seeing what the build actually did.

Hi Nelson,

we have tried to follow the Autoconf recommendation
   15.2 Working With External Software
   15.3 Choosing Package Options
but please tell me if me made some wrong choices.

As for the default, the help message always say (or at least should say)
'--disable-FEATURE' when enabled by default and '--enable-FEATURE' when
disabled by default, e.g, --disable-tex and --enable-etex.  Moreover
README.config should contain a fairly exhaustive list of all configure
options and the output from the top-level configure starts with listing all

There may, however, be one or the other exception.