[tlbuild] libiconv issue

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Wed Apr 18 10:33:31 CEST 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> Also, there is inconsistency in configure scripts: some want
> --disable-FEATURE and others --without-FEATURE, and FEATURE might be
> iconv or libiconv or nls.  Also, it is often unclear from --help
> output whether FEATURE is enabled or disabled by default; you
> only figure that out after seeing what the build actually did.

Hi Nelson,

we have tried to follow the Autoconf recommendation
   15.2 Working With External Software
     --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]
     --without-PACKAGE
   15.3 Choosing Package Options
     --enable-FEATURE[=ARG]
     --disable-FEATURE
but please tell me if me made some wrong choices.

As for the default, the help message always say (or at least should say)
'--disable-FEATURE' when enabled by default and '--enable-FEATURE' when
disabled by default, e.g, --disable-tex and --enable-etex.  Moreover
README.config should contain a fairly exhaustive list of all configure
options and the output from the top-level configure starts with listing all
assumptions.

There may, however, be one or the other exception.

Regards
Peter