[tlbuild] sparc-linux (bigendian?) failure in icu

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Apr 16 15:11:24 CEST 2012

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012, Karl Berry wrote:

>    expected it to be created - appropriately for the target platform - as
>    part of the ICU build process.
>
> Indeed, as Dick has seen.  Thanks.

Hi,

the sparc-linux is correctly detected as BigEndian and 'icupkg -tb' tries to
build a BigEndian data archive from the distributed LittleEndian one.

With the latest ICU some architecture dependent decisions that used to be
done by configure are now done via U_PLATFORM as determined by
icu-49.1/common/unicode/platform.h, and I have the strong suspicion that either
sparc-linux is not properly detected or otherwise mishandled.

I am fairly sure that just building from the ICU distribution will equally
fail on sparc linux.

Regards
Peter