[tlbuild] [tex-live] texlive install overwrites /usr/bin/man

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Nov 25 00:22:09 CET 2011

    If I want to build TeX, tangle, weave, mf, etc, why do I need X?

Just for the record, Metafont has a graphical capability to preview
characters, being a program about doing font design.  Therefore it needs
X by default.  Also by default, a separate mf-nowin binary is built
without the graphics and hence without the X dependency.

When you specify --without-x to configure, I believe it falls back to
creating only the non-graphical version, though I admit I haven't tested
it myself.