[tlbuild] [tex-live] texlive install overwrites /usr/bin/man

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Nov 21 15:21:19 CET 2011

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>>> It fails for me.  I don't have Xorg installed and ./Build does not seem
>>> to have a way to work around that without major hacking.  It does appear
>>
>> Could you provide details on where it fails?
>
> When make gets to xdvipdfmx.
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr                  \
>            --disable-native-texlive-build \
>            --enable-shared                \
>            --without-luatex               \
>            --enable-mktextex-default      \
>            --with-banner-add=" - BLFS"    \
>            --without-x
> make
>
>> ANd yes, if you don't have some parts installed, building TeX Live
>> will not work.

Building xdvipdfmx certainly does not require any X libraries.  It does,
however, require fontconfig headers and library as well as pkg-config to
locate them (this is mentioned in README.config).  The way make for
xdvipdfmx failed should have told you just that!

>>>  --without-x is incomplete.  It does not disable xdvipdfmx which  requires
>>> x.  The problem with xdvipdfmx is not identified until well  into the make
>>> phase.

Not true (see above).  If you don't have (or don't want to use) fontconfig
you can always configure with '--disable-xdvipdfmx'.  Or even better,
configure with '--disable-all-pkgs --enable-web2c' in order to build just
TeX&Co (see the README* files).

> If I want to build TeX, tangle, weave, mf, etc, why do I need X?

see above.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>