[tlbuild] [MacTeX] Cross-compiling TL on Mac for Tiger

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon May 30 00:09:15 CEST 2011

Mojca,

    - I would be very grateful if some extra switches could be added to
    Build script to support almost-automatic cross-compilation on mac
    (this is probably up to Peter)

No, Peter does not much work on or use the Build script.  Also, neither
he nor I work (hardly at all) on Macs.

Furthermore, right now the Build script is as straightforward as I can
make it.  It is basically nothing but configure && make with essentially
all commands and arguments turned into variables that can be overridden.
I wrote it that way precisely so that people who wanted to pass
different arguments, or whatever, would be able to script it without
changing it.

Therefore, adding a bunch of Mac-specific code (not to mention
Mac-cross-compiling-specific code) is not very appealing, even if
conditionalized.  How about if you write your own script that is a front
end to Build and checks what you want to check and passes what you want
to pass?

If something in Build needs to be generalized to make that workable,
that would be fine.  Send patches.

Best,