[tlbuild] starting builds (kfreebsd-amd64)

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue May 10 10:12:56 CEST 2011

On Tue, 10 May 2011, Alan Braslau wrote:

> On kfreebsd-amd64, I see:
>
> ar: creating ../lib/libicudata.a
> genccode: --match-arch cpu=3 bits=32 big-endian=1
> pkgdata: ar r ../lib/libicudata.a ./out/tmp/icudt46l_dat.o
> pkgdata: ranlib ../lib/libicudata.a
>
> So I do not see where icudt46l_dat.o gets created.
> (I do not know genccode)

Hi Alan,

gencode is one of the tools built for icu, but that should not be used at
this point (and certainly not without path because that would then use an
installed version).

> However, on kfreebsd-i386, I find:
>
> ar: creating ../lib/libicudata.a
> pkgdata: gcc   -O2 -c -
> I/home/local/src/texlive2011/source/Work/libs/icu/../../../libs/icu/icu-4.6/common
> -I../common -DPIC -fPIC -o ./out/tmp/icudt46l_dat.o ./out/tmp/icudt46l_dat.s
> pkgdata: ar r ../lib/libicudata.a ./out/tmp/icudt46l_dat.o
> pkgdata: ranlib ../lib/libicudata.a
>
> So, perhaps, here is the problem!

indeed.  To further analyze the cause of this problem a few questions:

what was your command to build on kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386?
Something like 'cd source', i.e., to the directory containing README.config,
and then just './Build', or did you add any arguments resp envvars and if so
which ones.

what is the output from './build-aux/config.guess' (for amd64 and i386)?

somwhere in Work/build.log there should be a line starting with
   'checking which Makefile fragment to use'
how does that line continue for kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386?

I get 'for i686-pc-linux-gnu... mh-linux' on 32 Bit linux and
'for i386-pc-mingw32... mh-mingw' when building for MinGW.

Finally, can you you send me the last part of Work/build.log for
kfreebsd-amd64, starting with '=== configuring in icu-build'.  Not the run
with '--disable-xetex --disable-bibtexu' that should have succeeded, but the
one where building the icu libraries fails.

All that info should suffice to diagnose and hopefully fix the problem.

BTW: ICU libraries are used for XeTeX and bibtexu, but whereas XeTeX
requires the version from the TL tree (modified for XeTeX by Jonathan Kew),
bibtexu can be built with in installed version (only for private use or a
distro, not for TeX Live where we can't rely on the existence of shared
libraries).

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>