[tlbuild] starting builds (kfreebsd-amd64)

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon May 9 13:45:33 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 May 2011, Alan Braslau wrote:
>

> Let me explain where this whole mess comes from.
>
> Originally (for icu versions <=4.2.1) the ICU people had the peculiar idea
> to use different names for shared and static libraries, e.g., libicudata.so
> and libsicudata.a.

This is one way to workaround the default link path search algorithm in Apple
MacOSX (e.g., scan all directories for dylibs before looking for
static libs).   Other
peculiar tricks are to use the "-search_paths_first" option or to
provide the full name
of the archive.

> For recent icu versions that has been changed, but only
> for some systems.  In order to cope with this, whenever libicuxxx.a exists
> but libsicuxxx.a does not I have added instructions to create a symlink
> libsicuxxx.a->libicuxxx.a and always using the name libsicuxxx.a when
> building XeTeX and bibtexu.  I didn't dream of the complication that a
> system wouldn't be able to cope with such symlinks.

> There are just two Makefile fragemnts that define STATIC_PREFIX=s and/or
> STATIC_PREFIX_WHEN_USED=s.  The obvious way out is to remove these and
> always use the names libicuxxx.a.  I'll try to do this today or tomorrow.
>
> Regards
> Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia