[tlbuild] luatex 0.66.0 in texlive

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Apr 12 16:36:12 CEST 2011

Hi,

Commit #22059 introduced luatex 0.66.0, and it builds ok on my machine.

First, sorry: I forgot to downdate my autotools, lots of configure
and Makefile.in changes. Sure they are supposed to be harmless,
but I do realize that these clutter the commit :(

 From the point of view of the texlive build system, there are two
interesting developments in this version of luatex as opposed to last
year's 0.60.0:

* luatex is built with poppler now, so I had to add poppler-0.12.4 under
   'libs'. Of course there is also a new m4 file:kpse-poppler-flags.m4,
   which adds --with-system-poppler & co analogous to the xpdf version.

* some of the internals are written in lua now luatexdir/luascripts),
   and that introduced the new cross-compile enabled script txt2zlib,
   with associated luatexdir/am/txt2zlib.am.

I think we have both of those changes nailed down rather well this time
around, and the other differences compared to last year are just
run-of-the-mill source code changes.

For the final luatex 0.70.0, there are only a few points open that all
in some way need texlive 2011 itself:

* large file support (Martin is still looking into that for luatex).

* synctex needs updating after Jérome has fixed the write location
   of the synctex(current) file.

* the 'strip' problem on Mac OS X that prevents luatex from loading
   lua extension modules (that seems to need build fixes that I do not
   yet understand at all).

* libpng 1.4.x/1.5.x (the source compiles and runs ok now for 1.4.4,
   but there is a bunch of annoying warnings about 'transformations
   being deprecated' that neither Martin nor me have figured out how
   to work around yet. This situation may improve or deteriorate in
   libpng 1.5).

We have no plans to do anything else to luatex before the texlive 2011
freeze, so all of the above could be fixed from within the texlive
repository. We will backport whatever was needed back to the luatex
repository afterwards.

Best wishes,
Taco