[tlbuild] Stripping the luatex binary

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Fri Apr 8 10:32:02 CEST 2011

Am 05.04.2011 um 12:31 schrieb Peter Breitenlohner:

> All this is, however, something to be worked out between the
> Automake, Libtool, and OS X people.

Maybe, but that's unlikely to happen: Building something works fine with Xcode or on the terminal, and most OS X developers don't use Autotools or care about it. On the other hand, Autotools is not interested in OS X or Windows so that is causes lots of problems on these systems.

Personally I think it would have been better to use a different build system (CMake, SCons, Bjam...). Autotools work fine on Linux and probably also on several open-source BSD systems, but not on OS X and Windows.

>> Or even an "install-sh" problem: install has no way of knowing that it
>> shouldn't call strip for one specific binary.
>
> Yes, it might be that libtool and install-sh have to cooperate.

I think both are generated by Autotools.

>> Or you could use a kludge: Replace "strip" by a shell script that strips
>> everything but luatex.  On the other hand, you probably don't gain that
>> much from removing the symbol table.  So compiling with -g0 and/or linking
>> with -S -x might indeed suffice.
>
> Well, given such a substitute for "strip" this could be done by configure or
> maybe even from outside.

Yes, this is probably the only viable and simple option.