[tlbuild] Checking if biber binary can run on a given platform? (Was: TL'11 build schedule)

Nikola Lečić nikola.lecic at anthesphoria.net
Tue Mar 22 00:46:01 CET 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:27:09 GMT
  in <201103212327.p2LNR93t006437 at freefriends.org>
  karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     It prints i386-freebsd, no matter how old or new it is. Why do you
>     think it shouldn't always print i386-freebsd?
>
> Because it would solve this problem :)?  But I suppose you're right.
>
>     Is this situation different on other supported platforms?
>
> No.  But these version issues don't seem to come up anywhere else.
> Maybe simply because no one else tries to support so many versions :).

BSDers tend to regard this as a compliment. :)
(Btw, I think the situation must be similar at least on other *BSDs.)

>     Well, there should always be nicer but less correct ways
>
> Can sufficient info be derived from uname, or maybe config.guess
> output, or some other freebsd-specific command?  Anything sounds
> better to me than grepping an include file.

Hm... There is 'sysctl -n kern.osreldate' (it prints precise six-digit
values), but this is not usable everywhere, for example in jails.

config.guess is usable, but not very precise:

  checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsd8.0
  checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd8.0

The same goes for uname. (For biber that we currently distribute, 7.1
or higher is needed.)

Give me some time to investigate if we have some other options.

--
Nikola Lečić = Никола Лечић
fingerprint : FEF3 66AF C90E EDC3 D878  7CDC 956D F4AB A377 1C9B