[tlbuild] Problem with program_invocation_name on Cygwin

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon Mar 7 09:32:32 CET 2011

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Karl Berry wrote:

> Anyway, the story here is that originally I used those variables, which
> are automatically set up on glibc systems.  In retrospect, that was
> pointless since we have to compute them on other systems anyway, and the
> glibc values aren't necessarily what we want anyway (symlink expansion ...).
>
> When Taco made kpse thread-safe he made them part of the kpse instance
> and #define'd the bare names to be in the default instance as usual, to
> preserve compatibility.  That's when I would have expected glibc
> compilations to start failing too.
>
> At this point, I think the thing to do is prepend kpse_ to those #defines
> and change the few occurrences of program_invocation{,_short}_name that
> are in the sources.  A quick grep under texk showed < 10, most in
> luatexdir, which I expect Taco will be glad to hack out :).

Hi Karl, Taco, Ken,

(1) The current code no longer tests for HAVE_PROGRAM_INVOCATION_NAME, thus
I will remove the test producing that variable.

(2) The current code no longer uses the variables supplied by glibc but
always our own ones.  If we have to use new names I'll use
kpse_invocation{,_short}_name to make it clear that this has nothing to do
with program_invocation{,_short}_name from glibc.

Taco,

I'll also change this in the two LuaTeX files lua/luainit.w and
tex/texfileio.w!

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>